Re: [linux-audio-dev] Would a culture of competition accellerate progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Would a culture of competition accellerate progress?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 19:24:21 EET

David Slomin wrote:
> I would propose that a nice happy medium could be reached if
> we were to start competing based on content (the actual music
> we produce, rather than the software we write to help us make
> the music). You know, a good-natured, for-fame-not-money,
> competition each month for, say, who can write the best fugue,
> best two minute techno piece, best simulation of a violin solo
> using nothing but Csound, etc.

> Anybody else up for this?

Definitely. I'd love to hear what *music* comes out of the people on
this list - I don't think I've heard anyone except DLP.

I know that the gimp.org contests played a role in getting me
interested in Gimp: it's a cool place to browse and see what regular
end-users are able to produce with the software.

I (or Jorn) could add a "Contest" area to the LAD pages, of course.

Administrative trouble, of course:

* How do we decide who "wins"? Someone would have to administer a
vote, I assume.

* How do we decide what this month's category is? Probably this
would be at the discretion of whoever volunteers to run the contest
(like you, Div!)

* Would we get enough entries each month to make it a real contest?
Maybe once every 2 months is better? Or even quarterly?

* Would this contest be strictly for the LAD list? Or open to anyone
else using linux for music?

* Would the LAD list subscribers be annoyed at long threads about
this topic? Gotta keep the S/N ratio down! Is there a better forum
for such a contest? After all it doesn't have anything to do with
linux audio *development* per se... Maybe this would be more
on-topic for the Linart list? (*very* quiet over there and I
honestly have no idea how many people are on that list.)

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.