Re: [linux-audio-dev] Would a culture of competition accellerate progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Would a culture of competition accellerate progress?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 20:41:55 EET

Some comments on contest rules...

David Slomin wrote:
> I'm not sure. I'm probably not the best person to run this sort of
> thing, never having run a competition of any sort before.

Drat. OK, who *really* wants to run it? :)

> 1. Each entry must make use of computers in some significant
> manner, though not exclusively; you could sample acoustic
> instruments for example. Linux would be the only legit operating
> system, but any software, free or otherwise, would be fair game.

Good.

> Running software meant for other platforms under an emulator (Wine,
> DOSemu, Executor, VMware, etc) would not count.

"not count" = not count as linux & therefore forbidden?
"not count" = not count as not linux & therefore permitted?

I favor disallowing emulators: the contest should strive to
encourage native linux solutions.

> I'd personally not
> mind allowing all flavors of Unix (maybe not Irix or NextStep since
> their music software is already pretty well established), but this
> _is_ a Linux mailing list after all.

I don't know where to draw the line but certainly I can't imagine
running FreeBSD would be a problem.

> 2. Each author must abide by an agreed upon copyright/license so
> that we don't break down arguing later on.

Right, we can just break down arguing before we ever get started. :)
Personally I think a contest like this would also be a good
opportunity to promote the idea of copyleft applied to artistic
works.
There's been brief spurts of license discussion on the Linart list.
There are links to the archives at: http://dsl.org/linart/
Linart administrator Michael Stutz has an interesting copyleft
license he's written (with some legal help) called the Design
Science License, or DSL. See http://dsl.org/copyleft/#dsl for more
about this.

> On top of these, the individual contests for each month might have
> further limitations such as one the following:
(snip)
> 3. Only allowed to use free software (for some pre-agreed
> definition of "free").

The Open Source Definition is probably a good reference. See
http://www.opensource.org/osd.html
List of conforming licenses at:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo