RE: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Plugin Uniqueness

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Plugin Uniqueness
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 02:42:24 EET

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:
> I'd prefer for us to play by ear. If 24bits really proves to be too little
> then MN (and I'm sure other hosts) could introduce different encoding
> schemes and we could increase the range. (Perhaps we'll have 64bit+ home
> computers by then anyway.) If every developer uses 1000 plugin IDs this
> gives us capacity for 16777 developers. Personally I think these are
> practical limits that can be policed at least initially by manual
> distribution of IDs.

How about fitting that range into the low bits of the two 32 bit
words (developer and plugin ID), and keep the other bits all zero
for now?

That way, we get away with IDs that can easily be cut down to smaller
word sizes, but there's still no need to change the API if/when
bigger IDs are needed - native hosts, and hosts that use the full 64
bits get away with no changes whatsoever, and old plugins will still
work without any special treatment.

Obviously, the developer IDs have to be managed carefully as long as
the ID size restriction is an official part of the API. Any guesses
for how long this restriction will make sense?

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'