Re: [linux-audio-dev] orphans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] orphans
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 21:21:11 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:
(snip)
> I also just want to reiterate what I'd like to see in some of my
> favorites:
>
> Snd (a drop-down menu of DSP functions [I know I sound like a broken
> record on this one, but it's so close to being perfect!])
(snip)

I agree, but in the interests of getting it "right", I've been
hoping this would go more like:

1) LADSPA gets to a generally useable stage

2) Snd gets LADSPA support: plugins accessed via a menu or whatever,
used to process current region.

3) audio-dev people go nuts creating plugins (either porting code
from existing apps, or designing new ones).

This sounds like "the right way" to me. I hope these arguments about
LADSPA settle down into some common ground soon. We really, really
need this.

BTW, although the interface is somewhat weird (way too many
windows!), I frequently find myself using DAP instead of Snd just
because it comes with a bunch of pretty nice dsp functions. DAP
might be a nice candidate to plunder for plugin code.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo