Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch
From: David Slomin (david.slomin_AT_av.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 01:07:55 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> Clients/servers: we've adopted the terminology that a client does not
> run in the same address space as the server...

My mistake, terminology-wise. I meant to say, "shouldn't there be a
single, standard, daemon-style host, and everything else is a plugin"?
When I say "daemon", I really mean it... no GUI at all, and providing
absolutely no functionality of its own, other than hosting the
plugins.

> But notice, there's no technical reason why one host cannot be a
> plugin to another host.

Technically, I agree with you. In terms of conceptual cleanness, I
heartily disagree. An HDR is a big program. A soft-synth is a
big program. <Insert your pet project here> is also a big program.
They're all peers, so none should be made subordinate to the others.
However, if they are all equally dependent on the host daemon, then
the design stays clean, and nobody gets insulted.

> But yes, we want more than one host. First of all, it avoids the
> "Cubase is my OS" syndrome. Secondly, and more importantly, it will
> allow, for example, an HDR program and a softsynth to share plugins,
> even when they are not run at the same time (i.e they don't share any
> common routing). Imagine some EQ plugin, for example, that you would
> love to be able to use both with the HDR system during playback and
> with the softsynth during live performance.

Never fear, what you describe here can be handled by the host daemon
scenario just as well. It does have a little of the "Cubase is my OS"
syndrome, since the daemon acts like part of the OS, but since the
daemon provides no functionality of its own, there's never an instance
to have to trade off between it and a competing host.

Or am I just off the wall?
Div.

P.S. To summarize an off-list email, the concept of a LAD comp
is not dead... details will be announced after more groundwork
is laid.

--
David Slomin, Engineer         mailto:david.slomin_AT_av.com
AltaVista Business Solutions   http://solutions.altavista.com/