Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio application mixing/routing arch
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 02:32:20 EEST

David Slomin wrote:

> Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
> > Clients/servers: we've adopted the terminology that a client does not
> > run in the same address space as the server...
>
> My mistake, terminology-wise. I meant to say, "shouldn't there be a
> single, standard, daemon-style host, and everything else is a plugin"?
> When I say "daemon", I really mean it... no GUI at all, and providing
> absolutely no functionality of its own, other than hosting the
> plugins.

  yes! do one thing and do it well.

  doing any kind of signal processing (except of data conversion:-) in
host would be basically duplicating the functionality of plugins...

> > But notice, there's no technical reason why one host cannot be a
> > plugin to another host.
>
> Technically, I agree with you. In terms of conceptual cleanness, I
> heartily disagree. An HDR is a big program. A soft-synth is a
> big program. <Insert your pet project here> is also a big program.
> They're all peers, so none should be made subordinate to the others.
> However, if they are all equally dependent on the host daemon, then
> the design stays clean, and nobody gets insulted.

  well, once you start to do the distributed sound processing you want
to have a daemon running on each computer, I guess. I wonder how that
would go (but we're getting to the area of data bus here)... are the
hosts one different computers plugins to each other?

        erik