Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins
From: John Thaden (jjthaden_AT_flash.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 02:57:41 EEST

Hi folks,
     I've been lurking on linux-audio-dev for a week. In my book, you are
all heros for tackling this crying need for a pro audio DAW based on an OS
with some guts that people can run on their Pentium machines, etc. Three
weeks a Cakewalk owner, and I'm ready to tear my hair out, what with
latency and dropout problems and general crashiness. I lost all audio
tracks to four songs, and a fifth has audio and MIDI tracks now
mysteriously differing in speed by 3.65%.
     I bring little expertise to the table, unfortunately, being only a
Linux wannabe, but for what it's worth, am somewhat familiar with unix- and
C-type environments, since I often program in a statistical language first
developed in unix (S, S-Plus).

>># here's a sound clip at time 0.357 in track 2
>
>I have no particular plans to support the merging of external files
>into ardour/snd. snd-in-ardour will retain the capabilities to do
>this, but i don't want to encourage it too much, certainly not at
>first.

     Regarding the relative importance of importing WAV files, I'd rate it
highly, since early products of your efforts may lack certain
functionalities easily covered by other programs, linux-based or not. Had
Cakewalk not had this feature, I would have really been up a creek without
a paddle. But I suppose you do not want to encourage it precisely because
it could short-circuit the development of features internal to snd/ardour?

     Regarding the feasibility of using yet another task-swapping OS as
basis for a better DAW, I'm not qualified to say, but I'd say the most
convincing strength of Linux as a DAW base is the spirit and enthusiasm of
Linux folks like you.

Regards,

John Thaden
Little Rock, Arkansas, USA