Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour & snd: the saga begins
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 22:56:42 EEST

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> >> One thing I just thought of: Commercial FX boxes don't have to run
> > fsck every time a drunk guy trips over the power cord. I guess
> > there's nothing to be done but add a UPS to the requirements for my
> > system...
>
> or journaling filesystem. it looks like they are coming really soon
> (well, they are already here, but I mean being mainstream in linux
> world), they can be up&working in few seconds (after crash/power off
> without proper sync). I don't know what performance trade-off is though
> (if you want to include HD recording).
>
> erik

Actually ReiserFS performs better as ext2:
a bit better on large files
MUCH better on small files, since they are stored in the tail of the inode.

A guy sent me some hdrbench results on his reiserfs box,
and they look quite better than mine on ext2.

therefore journaled FS does not mean much slower. :-)

Benno.