[linux-audio-dev] FYI: disk crash warning

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] FYI: disk crash warning
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 06:52:09 EEST

Just as an unwelcome reminder:

Tonight, I suffered another potentially catastrophic disk crash. I
have two warnings for all of you:

     1) potentially avoid Quantum Viking disk drives - this is the
          2nd time in 8 months that one of their drives has failed
          on me, despite all my other gear working just fine.

     2) backup early, backup often.

I lost the disk with my /usr/local on it, which includes
/usr/local/music where all of my music related software development
happens. Things are not too scary, since I have most of my stuff in
CVS repositories on remote hosts, plus a copy of everything on a
studio machine. More importantly however, since I don't sync CVS every
10 minutes, my machine backs itself up to tape every night, and so I
stood to loose at most 1 days worth.

As luck would have it, I resurrected the failed drive for one parting
data exchange, and managed to copy the current version of ardour and
snd from it. This let me get back all of today's work. I was therefore
able to lose nothing significant except 5 email messages that arrived
at pbd_AT_op.net at between about 4pm and 7pm EST tonight (I stupidly
ran fetchmail while the disk was on its last legs).

This was pure luck. Backup your data. Backup your programs. Backup
everything. Do it often, and then do it again. Repeat, and rinse.

--p