Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 00:01:35 EEST

>I've also ported Jezar's excellent Freeverb reverb to LADSPA from VST. This
>proved straightforward, however I'm a little worried about linkage issues
>both with CMT and Freeverb: Jezar wishes to keep the plugin closed-source
>so he's providing a binary-only release.
>
>As C++ was used, the plugin library references the standard C++ library for
>supporting functions - specifically version 2.9 if I remember correctly.
>Does this mean that the plugin will ONLY work with 2.9? This is a bit of a
>problem IMHO. Would this problem go away if the plugins were to be
>rewritten in C, or would specific C library versions then be required?

If the code only uses straight C stuff, then the C++ library is
irrelevant. If it uses stuff from the C++ library, then it may matter
considerably. The unix dynamic linker tends to be version specific
unless you tell it not to be, and will likely not even load a version
linked against a version of a library that doesn't exist.

OTOH, the "standard library" is the "standard library", so in theory,
it shouldn't matter.

What library stuff is being used ?

BTW, I am very disappointed that Jezar took this route. It seems quite
contrary to the whole idea of Linux. Still, I suppose that LADSPA
should make it possible to support such things, because otherwise we
may never get antares autotune for ladspa :)

--p