Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Update (http://www.ladspa.org)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 00:04:26 EEST

>As C++ was used, the plugin library references the standard C++ library for
>supporting functions - specifically version 2.9 if I remember correctly.
>Does this mean that the plugin will ONLY work with 2.9? This is a bit of a
>problem IMHO. Would this problem go away if the plugins were to be
>rewritten in C, or would specific C library versions then be required?

there's a deeper problem here too. the dynamic linker under linux will
not "chain link" - if an *explicitly* dynamically loaded (i.e. dlopen)
module requires C++ libs, but they are not loaded, my impression is
that the link will fail.

if we are going to allow C++ plugins to be used within any LADSPA
host, that implies that the host must guarantee that various C++ libs
are linked. this is a bit of a problem, i think. people writing pure C
hosts may want (or know how) to get the C++ stuff linked in, and its
very questionable whether they should have to.

--p