Re: [linux-audio-dev] GLAME supports LADSPA now.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] GLAME supports LADSPA now.
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 18:49:01 EEST

>I've been thinking it might be nice to standardize
>a "ladspa plugin catalog" format which would
>store local information (translated names, local abbreviations,
>local path to the plugin library, user comments, download location,
>icons of various sizes, local organization (ie grouping)).
>
>It'd probably be easiest as an xml-based format.
>
>Would anyone (besides gdam) use such a standard?

Well, it depends on what you mean. What I would like to see is
actually 2 things:

  * an API for retrieving entries from it.
  * a tool to manipulate the catalog (add, delete, annotate, edit, etc.)
                         (somewhat optional)

I would not like to have to deal with XML directly. If I could do
something this:

    struct ladspa_catalog_entry *foo;

    ladspa_catalog = new_ladspa_catalog (configuration->catalog_path);

    while ((foo = ladspa_catalog->get_entry())) {

          ... stick them in a GtkCList, whatever ...
    }

then I would be a very enthusiastic user. Having it be a standard
format with a standard API would be excellent.

--p