Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 18:06:19 EEST

   Hi!

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 03:19:53PM +0200, Benno Senoner wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> > >To throw in my 2 bits,
> > >
> > >I like this design. [ Benno's design ]
> > >
> > >Of course, assuming we encourage xml use
> > >as a more portable mechanism
> > >(IMO hopefully the primary mechanism)
> > >and generalize to N-toolkits,
> > >as you've suggested.
> > >
> > >This definitely feels like the starting
> > >point for an outline of the standard...
> >
> > I agree. This does feel like something pretty workable.
> >
> > --p
>
> I am glad of this.
>
> Anyway Karl has some objections:
> --
> Karl JH Millar wrote:
> There has been some discussion of using multiple toolkits simultaneously. I
> think this is a terrible idea, even if it is possible. In overly complicates
> things, and makes it very difficult, if not impossible for a plugin's display
> to appear in the same toplevel window as other widgets.
> --
>
> I don't know if this is actually an issue in the realworld.
> Most VST plugins I saw, had their own control window when using a custom GUI,
> therefore on linux , the custom GUIs running within it's own windows shouldn't
> be a big problem.
>
> And if that is not enough we have still the possibility to place a borderless
> window with the plugin's GUI on top of the host's main window, feeling like
> one single window. (I am not sure if that works 100% when you send some
> windows to background/foreground, but it may be solved with a stay-on-top flag)

X11 has a swallow ability, too. I don't think running N toolkits in one
process is really what you want. I also don't think that LADSPA should
standarize how GUIs should look (e.g. using XML) or be built. Things like
aRts will definitely have sophisticated solutions for solving this, and
if LADSPA makes more assumptions than absolutely necessary about GUIs, it
will be difficult to get things working together.

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany