Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa plugin GUI proposal
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 16:19:53 EEST

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >To throw in my 2 bits,
> >
> >I like this design. [ Benno's design ]
> >
> >Of course, assuming we encourage xml use
> >as a more portable mechanism
> >(IMO hopefully the primary mechanism)
> >and generalize to N-toolkits,
> >as you've suggested.
> >
> >This definitely feels like the starting
> >point for an outline of the standard...
>
> I agree. This does feel like something pretty workable.
>
> --p

I am glad of this.

Anyway Karl has some objections:

--
Karl JH Millar wrote:
There has been some discussion of using multiple toolkits simultaneously. I
think this is a terrible idea, even if it is possible. In overly complicates
things, and makes it very difficult, if not impossible for a plugin's display
to appear in the same toplevel window as other widgets.
--

I don't know if this is actually an issue in the realworld. Most VST plugins I saw, had their own control window when using a custom GUI, therefore on linux , the custom GUIs running within it's own windows shouldn't be a big problem.

And if that is not enough we have still the possibility to place a borderless window with the plugin's GUI on top of the host's main window, feeling like one single window. (I am not sure if that works 100% when you send some windows to background/foreground, but it may be solved with a stay-on-top flag)

Benno.