Re: [linux-audio-dev] Virtual Sliders Considered Harmful

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Virtual Sliders Considered Harmful
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 16:15:10 EEST

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >for constructing a graphical interface. If the plugin does it, and especially
> >if the plugin does it with pixmaps, then these problems are very real, as the
> >details of each element will vary from plugin to plugin.
>
> Pixmaps should be large and scaled at the beginning. I see too many
> tiny pixmaps out there.
>
> -*-
>
> It should be easier to have the system where each plug-in creates its
> own GUI. So, we have more time to think about the LADSPA GUI. If some
> plug-in needs extra features, we just has to improve the LG instead of
> guiding to use own GUI.
>
> Juhana

Sorry you are wrong here, in realworld this would simply not work:

Assume vendor ABC needs GUI feature XYZ which is not covered by
LG (ladspa gui).
He has to go the custom GUI way.
Plus chances are big that he is not willing to release this GUI code,
therefore no inclusion in LG, and even if he did , it could lead
to more overhead to integrate the code into LG, than writing a similar
widget from scratch.

And consider the fact that if we integrate every custom GUI widget
of every plugin ever writte, we will end up with a ladspa-gui lib
which is bigger than an entire linux distro. :-)

Benno.