Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 23:31:41 EET

On Tue, 07 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 12:27:31PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Frank Neumann wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.prorec.com has a nice article (dated September 2000) that
> > > compares SCSI and IDE for DAW purposes.
> >
> > A timely tip...Thanks, Frank !
>
> Interesting, but has anyone done an equivalent for linux? I would be
> happy to do some benchmarking, but all my SCSI cards are bad, plus I'm
> not sure how valuable it is beyond a given CPU/motherboard/ram/kernel
> combination.

I ran my hdrbench ( http://www.linudj.com/hdrbench ) on a SCSI
soft RAID5 linux server ( with 5 UW quantum disks) (a dual PIII 450) and it
worked like a charm even in presence of software RAID5 (which has to calculate
all the checksums using the CPU).

I estimated that this box can deliver about 120 32bit @ 48khz tracks under
real world conditions.
(and think about the fact that RAID5 does not improve the seek performance, only
the throughput is improved)

And the quantums (9GB) aren't really recent disks, thus I'd say that it the
performance was excellent.

PS: I took a look at the article and the performance is consistent with my
findings ( realworld performance is much lower than disk transfer rate specs,
mainly due to disk seek overhead)

BTW: how good/bad does the latest 2.4-test perform in terms of disk I/O
performance ?

PBD, any numbers from Ardour ?

Benno.