Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 22:32:05 EET

>BTW: how good/bad does the latest 2.4-test perform in terms of disk I/O
>performance ?
>
>PBD, any numbers from Ardour ?

I'm still on 2.4test7+lowish-latency, though I have
test9+lowish-latency built.

With a 5msec fragment size, Ardour cannot do simultaneous recording of
16 tracks without xruns caused by VM/disk cache issues. Because I'm
using a Hammerfall, the frag size doesn't matter while I record, so I
reset it to 8192 frames (about 170msecs), and recorded 16 tracks for
40 minutes without any problems whatsoever. This is to a single Ultra
2 SCSI 10K RPM disk (IBM Speedstar). Thats all I know for know.

2.4test9 is supposed to have some improvements. the frag size issue is
another reason why you want (1) a proper multichannel recording card
with h/w monitoring and/or (2) ingo's patches.

--p