Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 05:21:41 EET

>does soft-raid on ide disks make sense when you have two disks per
>channel ?
>iirc, ide drives don't disconnect from the bus during seek times -
>don't they block the other drive then ?
>
>i'm not at all sure how this works. the ultra-ata bus throughput
>would be more than sufficient for two disks, but do they share the
>bandwidth sensibly in soft-raid ?

I've had some extensive conversations with the authors of that
article. They are both experienced people, and have used DAW's and
RAID systems for years. Their claim is that RAID and multi-disc stuff
in general is irrelevant for the DAW scenario:that people today can
regularly and fairly easily get 40-60 tracks from Windows98+ATA100,
and that there is simply almost never any need for more tracks than
that.

After considering their points for a while, I'd have to say that I
probably agree with them. Yes, 120+ tracks sounds impressive, but in
the real world, this is just not how you deal with audio. Thats not
just because of the traditional cost of the gear to do so, but also
because its just way more audio source dividing that virtually anyone
is willing to manage. 24 is often too few, but 120 is nearly always
way too many ...

--p