Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some ide qs [was:Re: Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE]
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 19:14:34 EET

>What about SGI's xfs. Its been ported to Linux. Seems to have a
>nice design. Supports very large files. And supposedly will recover
>in aprox 1-2 mins after a crash (ie turning the power off without
>dismounting). I havent tried it yet but it looks promising.

XFS doesn't have any properties that i can see as particularly
relevant for audio work, though i don't know enough about it. the
primary things we want are:

        * extremely rapid inode and block allocation
        * "appropriate" block distribution across the media

Juhana has mentioned an interesting paper from 20 years ago that
suggests that in fact, random block distribution is the best solution
for audio. The whole log-structured thing with XFS sounds pretty cool,
but I don't see it helps audio with its real-time i/o requirements.

Does anyone else ?

--p