Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting article on SCSI vs. IDE
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 22:12:06 EET

>My benchmark simulated audio recording to disk. Writing 2 GB files (really
>stupid Linux limitation), write only, no reading at all.

the 2GB limit went away some time ago in glibc. you do have to use
different functions, but thats because POSIX says so (open64, close64, etc).

note that for multitrack recording, writing only is not a valid
test. you will always want *some* playback to accompany new tracks.

>Now I just need some 64-bit platform to be able to memorymap raw 80 GB disk
>devices... :)

too bad linus didn't design for mmap to be used that way :)

--p