Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 09:51:10 EET

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >I think there should not be "an application", but plugins that can be
> >chained together. For example in Mustajuuri the mixer is not an
> >application by itself, but a plugin that can be used to host other
> >plugins. In future there may be other big plugins (like a decent hdr),
> >but the basic idea is to get away from the ProTools/whatever
> >"this is my application and there are its plugins" -kind of thinking. The
> >idea was sort of borrowed from SoniFlow (to credit the originators).
>
> The problem with this approach is that *something* has to be the
> host.

Yes; the System. Preferably, this System should be powerful enough to
allow the majority of applications to use it as a system service for
running plugins and using various hardware devices, instead of
containing their own hosts.

Remains to see if that can ever work out... :-)

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'