Re: Plugin chains and EDLs, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: Plugin chains and EDLs, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 05:49:25 EET

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >> Then there are the busses. Each is functionally an N-input, 1-output
> >> adder.
> >
> >Not really. The bus is actually just a buffer where a bunch of
> >plugins have mixed down all of their output. Throw it at any plugin
> >input for further processing.
>
> As long as LADSPA does not require the run_adding() method to be
> present, busses cannot be implemented in this way.

Right, you'll have to use intermediate buffers and extra plugins for
the Bad ones... or more optimized variants.

> This is another
> good reason for requiring that all plugins support this, IMHO.

I think I did say once that it might be a better idea to leave the
replacing/overwriting variant optional. No one took much notice
IIRC, and it *may* even be that someone had an argument that seemed
to prove my point invalid...

Anyway, that would obviously add overhead in other situations, for
plugins without the optional calls, but I still believe that zeroing
a buffer is simpler and faster than setting up an extra buffer and
mix from that to the real target buffer.

Besides, I don't really think there's an excuse for not implementing
all run() variants on the most frequently used plugins.

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'