Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 13:40:42 EET

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> > Seriously, if you can explain how I can implement the example I give
> > above without having to iterate over 3 output buffers, sum their
> > contents and store the result in a 4th buffer, I'll be very grateful.
>
> Unfortunately I can't. I agree that run_adding() is optimal in certain
> situations, but I think run_replacing() is generally more usable. This is
> why I think mandatory run_replacing() + optional run_adding() is the best
> combination.

As long as we can't even decide which scenario will be the most usual
one, there's not much point in doing *anything*, as the decision
depends on exactly that.

Anyway, if we assume that the number of plugins in chains will be
approximately the same as the number of plugins in parallel, adding
to the same buffer, what happens if:

        * all plugins provide only run_adding()?

        * all plugins provide only run()?

(Did anyone notice that run_adding() is not far from being
inherently inplace broken...? That's what Kai's examples show.)

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'