[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 07:01:39 EET

i would really like to once again voice my opinion that run_adding()
should be the default mode of operation for all LADSPA plugins.

people have asserted that this can be handled by the host. its true,
but it has significant overhead, both in terms of cache misses and
extra cycles. providing an independent buffer for each plugin and then
mixing them together at the end is the stuff of performance
brickwalls.

could we possibly change this to match the VST model (where its the
equivalent of run() that is optional, and all plugins must implement
the equivalent of run_adding()), before we get too many plugins ?

this is appearing of major significance is a large-scale multichannel
system right now.

--p