Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 13:00:26 EET

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
[...]
> Ok, the other type of processing would be parallel processing - so we do:
>
> --cut--
> - read_from_file(a)
> - b = clone(a)
> - plugA1.run_inplace(a) ; plugB1.run_inplace(b)
> - ...
> - plugAN.run_inplace(a) ; plugBN.run_inplace(b)
> - a = a / 2 + b / 2
> - write_to_file(a)
>
> ==> 2 buffers, N + M plugins, 2 parallel chains
> --cut--
>
> And this design can be easily extended to more complicated setups.

That's basically the problem; requiring the use of extra buffers and
extra mixing code.

> > this is appearing of major significance is a large-scale multichannel
> > system right now.
>
> This sounds like marketing speak to me. ;) Linux is good for the small
> firms, but for the really huge, large scale, bigger-than-life
> organizations, you need big UNIX houses (or the even bigger: Microsoft
> Datacenter!). Might be true, yes, but not much of an argument.

OTOH, designing small-scale into the system is a very bad idea,
unless it can be easily fixed later. Just look at the Linux kernel
now; it's more or less turning preemptive, just because there's no
other way to deal with 4+ CPUs under heavy load... :-)

//David

| A Free/Open Source | | Audio Hacker |
| for | | Open Source Advocate |
| Professional and Consumer | | Singer |
| Multimedia | | Songwriter |
`-----> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' `---> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'