Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()
From: Paul Sladen (paul_AT_sladen.org)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 02:15:19 EET

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> >
> > Another item that is simply solved this way is deciding which
> > plugin/thread should be run as the SCHED_FIFO start point.. it's quite
> > simple, it's the one connect to the _output_ of the sound card... that one
> > just requests all the way up the chain, eventually reaching the sound card
> > input, or an hdr output etc...
>
> hmmm , did I hear RECURSIVE ? (or am I missing something ?)
> Please no.
You've got it!

Though remember that it is the audio-server that is responsible for
sorting out and "validating" the net before pluggin it together.

> I have not seen such a plugin model yet, and VST uses too the
> "chain of processing modules" model.

If VST is so all well and good... why are we sitting here trying to come
up with alternatives? As far as I can see the whole point of these
discussions is to put every idea forward, and not simply disregard things
because "someone else did[n't] do it".

> Keep it simple stupid.
This /is/ far more simple that having the audio server do such things.
(At least from the inital research that I've done [in my head]).

> As for "deciding which plugin/thread ..."
> I can think only of one single SCHED_FIFO thread which schedules
> the plugins beginning from the soundcard's inputs until you reach the
> soundcard's outputs. (or alternativey disk tracks ins/out).

The trouble is that the fundemental of digital audio is that it is
/pulled/ not pushed...!

Paul

--
e: paul_AT_sladen.org   t: 0115 922 7162