Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and run_adding()
From: Paul Sladen (paul_AT_sladen.org)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 02:08:39 EET

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> [snip..] Of course you
> could use 2 buffers, and bounce between them (plug1:a->b, mute(a),
> plug2:b->a, mute(b), plug3:a->b, ..., plug10:a->busA), but I don't think
> this is very elegant.

The fact that this is not elegant does not matter in this case, since it
is the /audio-server/ that will do the "patching up" (in both senses), as
it will just tell each plugin down the chain to go and use the alternate
buffer.

An output independant run_replacing() does have something going for it
because it can "blindly" write to a buffer, without requiring to read the
value of the datum into the CPU first.

I'm coming over to it, but only if there is not a stupid restriction like
*having* to write into the same buffer that you are reading from. This
doesn't scale.

Besides, mixing can/should be done via a mixer plug... users with by
default graphically attach various plugs into a mixer/bus... so that's
what the net that the audio-server is going to be presented with, and
therefore it is easier just to attach a plug to the mixer, and let the
user twiddle the pots on the mixer plug, just like they'd expect to do in
the real world.

(Slowing coming around to the opposing view; but still of the view that
you should only provide /one/).
Paul

--
e: paul_AT_sladen.org   t: 0115 922 7162