Re: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 19:48:29 EET

>What and how many controls would most people consider the minimum
>necessary on a control surface to be usefull assuming it was talking
>to something like Ardour.

by comparison with the ICubeX sensor->MIDI digitizer, and some of the
complaints about it, I'd guess you need a complete sensor scan at
least every millisecond at worst. Much better would be a
sensor scan rate of about 2.5kHz or above, with 5kHz getting into the
"we don't care anymore". i think ... obviously, the higher the better,
but in many senses, value resolution is possibly more important
temporal latency here.

as for the number of controls, its generally very annoying to work
with less than 8 channels at a time, and I would expect each channel
"strip" to have 1 slider, a solo button, a mute button, a bus switch
(preferably 4, 8 or 16 way), a pan pot, a digital trim pot, a level to
tape pot, and lets say 3 EQ pots. so thats 10 per channel, 80 total on
the strips, plus as a rough guess 12-24 others that would be mostly to do
with transport control plus global settings. So I'd say that aiming at
about 100 control elements would put you in a very usable space.

--p