Re: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Homebrew control surfaces was (ardour,LDSPA... A marrage)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 20:05:07 EET

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 12:48:29PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> as for the number of controls, its generally very annoying to work
> with less than 8 channels at a time, and I would expect each channel
> "strip" to have 1 slider, a solo button, a mute button, a bus switch
> (preferably 4, 8 or 16 way), a pan pot, a digital trim pot, a level to
> tape pot, and lets say 3 EQ pots. so thats 10 per channel, 80 total on
> the strips, plus as a rough guess 12-24 others that would be mostly to do
> with transport control plus global settings. So I'd say that aiming at
> about 100 control elements would put you in a very usable space.

I think a more minimal implementation would be useable, how about:

per strip: slider plus solo, mute, pan and "active" toggles.
plus a slection of assignable (rotary encoded) knobs which control the
"active" strip.

Or, for those people who can use knobs for gain control you could do the
whole thing with colummns of rotary encoders.

- Steve

PS Did I mention that I like rotary encoders ;) but not for fading with.