Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: my take on the "virtual studio" (monolith vs plugins) ... was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: my take on the "virtual studio" (monolith vs plugins) ... was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 20:37:27 EET

>I'm not 100% convinced by your "computer audio is pull not push" argument
>(correct me if I'm misunderstanding).
>
>In LADSPA, it certainly *feels* like push, the host sets your
>parameters, then it pushes you a block of audio, you process it and push
>the output on (by returning).
>
>Doesn't it just depend upon the implementation? Paul B-D's (in)famous
>run_adding() plugin buss is certainly a push implementation.

steve - what you're missing (and paul s. is missing) in describing it
as pull-OR-push is that both are important:

   HDR:

     every fragment we *push* samples to the plugins
                and we *pull* samples from the hard disk

   Real-time FX:

     every fragment we push samples to the plugins
                and we pull samples from the plugins

   Software synthesis:

     every fragment we pull samples from the synth

so its really pull-AND-push.

--p