Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: my take on the "virtual studio" (monolith vs plugins) ... was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: my take on the "virtual studio" (monolith vs plugins) ... was Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour, LADSPA, a marriage
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 19:56:35 EET

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 12:53:19AM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> Anything that /depends/ upon a persific language is fundementally flawed..
> if you have an API that ports easily across all languages, then you know
> that you have come up with a good answer... Why /shouldn't/ I be able to
> knock up a quick plug in Python etc...

I'm not get convinced that this is a good feature for something which
requires such speed. In theory I agree that a good design would support
any language that you cre to use, but in practice?

> <abstract rant>
> It has taken Microsoft *8* versions of Direct3D to do all the things that
> could be done with OpenGL 1.0!!!!
> </abstract rant>

<abstract objection> Yes, but GL existed before OpenGL, and it was grim. </>

> > Plus those that will want to use the "virtual studio" API out from a
> > C app will not like it that much.
> Indeed, "they" will not like it very much at all ;-).

I think this is more of a problem.

> > There may be cases where we want to make/modify connections in realtime
> > without glitches and other sources of non-determinism and here we need
> > to be VERY careful.
> What needs to happen is that the nonRT needs to do all the calculation,
> and then place all the changes into a lock free FIFO for the RT chain to
> pick up after/before processing the next block.

Are there any example of this in practice? I mean you can't do it in
cubase, or hardware (analogue or digital). Not that that means we
shouldn't try, but...

I'm not 100% convinced by your "computer audio is pull not push" argument
(correct me if I'm misunderstanding).

In LADSPA, it certainly *feels* like push, the host sets your
parameters, then it pushes you a block of audio, you process it and push
the output on (by returning).

Doesn't it just depend upon the implementation? Paul B-D's (in)famous
run_adding() plugin buss is certainly a push implementation.

- Steve