Re: [linux-audio-dev] streaming with 2.4.0test11

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] streaming with 2.4.0test11
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 19:35:35 EET

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:

> can you try to run a hdrbench session (http://www.linuxdj.com/hdrbench) ?
> Just to see if the situation is problematic or not.

Ok, I ran quick tests with hdrbench with various input-output combinations
(usually two times: one run with cpu+disk pressure and one run without).
The results were pretty much the same. Without pressure, I could stream
upto 25inputs+25outputs without underruns. But with my normal test load,
for instance 15i+15o failed every time.

Here's the tests I ran (input_output_x.dat)

10_2_pressure.dat -> ok
10_5_pressure.dat -> ok
15_15_no_pressure.dat -> ok
15_15_pressure.dat -> failed
20_20_no_pressure.dat -> ok
20_20_pressure.dat -> failed
20_2_pressure.dat -> failed
25_25_no_pressure.dat -> ok
30_30_no_pressure.dat -> failed
5_2_pressure.dat -> ok

Doh, I don't seem to have gnu plot installed. I'll just put the above
files at http://eca.cx/hdrbench ...

For these tests I used 512kB per track for buffering. I tested on my
dual-466Mhz celeron box (128MB, 7200rpm tuned ide-driver,
non-patched 2.4.0test11). I'll try to better

> try to use 1MB per track (but then you will need enough memory if you run
> with dozens of tracks).
[...]
> You can repeat the same on a 2.2 kernel , and by comparing the graphs
> and the maximum number of reliable tracks , you can easily see which

I'll try to do more comprehensive testing when I have the time.
Unfortunately the machine I'm using doesn't suit well for kernel testing.
It's a "standalone" box without any additional devices attached -> no
monitor, keyboard, floppy driver, mouse or anything. :( And to make things
even worse, the machine is buried under miscellanous studio gear. So if I
update the kernel, and the boot doesn't succeed -> ARGGH! ;)

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .