Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control is important

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Remote control is important
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 05:20:39 EET

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Steve Harris wrote:

> I've been thinking about a minimal form of this, I intend it to run on a
[...]
> * Running at 115kbps or whatever the control machine can support. most
> palmtops can't do MIDI directly.

Ecasound might just be the right thing for building a minimal remotely
controllable recording box. And best of all, doesn't require much work.
Just build a Linux box, install ecasound and setup the audio drivers. Then
either a) install a network card, or b) add a getty entry to inittab so
you can login from serial port. Now you have a portable recording station
that can be controlled by anything that has a serial port or network card.
Using the serial port seems especially interesting (cheap!).

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .