Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ardour] custom graphics + MIDI control for LADSPA plugins
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 19:13:37 EET

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 07:16:27PM +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Heh, major deja vu here. :) Quoting my own message, dated Thu, 6 Apr 2000:

Good, I'm gald I'm not the only one that feels this way.

> - static type for control and audio data, currently a 32bit float
> - not enough support for multichannel streams (interleaving, etc)
> - no support for allocating memory using the plugin API /
> bounded instantation time problem
> - no support for events / sample-accurate control
> - data ranges - currently both control data and audio data
> are not normalized to any specific range"

The only one that has bitten me so far is 5 (for audio, not control, I
like unbounded control ranges). 3 would have been nicer I guess, and 4
might be a problem when I try to do stuff in realtime. But I think they
were all worthwile sacrifices for the S.

> Now correct if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the above features
> are still outside LADSPA scope. So the current discussion concerns only
> MAIA. And yup, there's still a place (and need) for MAIA. I see it a
> natural layer above LADSPA. I guess the XML-GUI now under planning is a
> good example of this. It is not extending LADSPA directly, but is built on
> top of it.

Definatly, there is a need for a non S GPL'd plugin API. And The work that
has been done on MAIA sounds great.

- Steve