Re: [linux-audio-dev] opinion sought re: cdda2wav & cdrecord

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] opinion sought re: cdda2wav & cdrecord
From: Andre Pang (andrep_AT_cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 02:53:13 EEST

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 02:49:16PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> ok, well my real-time CD recorder project turned out to be more
> involved than i thought, mostly because i forgot that to model a
> dedicated h/w box, i needed to rip the audio of the CD for playback
> and feed it back out of whatever audio interface was being used for
> input. or that this should at least be an option.

i've actually written a Perl script to copy^H^H^H^Hbackup CDs in exactly
this manner, using FIFOs as the intermediary between cdparanoia and
cdrecord. the technique works remarkably well, especially when you look at
what's happening in the process list :). i eventually want to extend the
script to work in disc-at-once mode when (if?) cdrecord ever supports that,
and to handle different song gap situations. (there's currently no way i
can tell how long the 'gaps' are between songs.)

> my gut instinct tells me that i should take the mass of code that
> comprises cdrecord and cdda2wav and merge them into this project,
> running their code in their own threads, but without a fork()/exec()
> and a pipe() in the way.

is there a _real_ need to do this without fork/exec/pipe? they're
reasonably efficient processes under Linux, so maybe you don't really need
to go to all the trouble of doing it in one process.

> so, does anyone here have any opinions on this question ?

well, if you want my script (the code says everything), i'll be happy (but
embarrassed) to distribute it to the list. it hasn't been updated in about
a year, but it basically works for me :). maybe i could save you a bit of
hacking and just munge the script to do what you want it to do.

--
/ #ozone <andrep_AT_vjolnir.org>; (mobile# 0411 882299)
                               trust in love to save