[linux-audio-dev] Distributed audio processing

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Distributed audio processing
From: Ellis Breen (miminon_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 14:58:15 EEST

Please can somebody point me to information on using a LAN to distribute
audio processing,
i.e. setting one or more computers up as dedicated audio servers and
streaming data between them?
All the pages search engines have turned up seem to relate to

I presume this can be done fairly simply (if not most efficiently) by piping
CORBA or MCOP
streams over Ethernet. Can one expect <10ms (pre-soundcard) round-trip
latency if I set up
one computer (a friend's PIII550) as an audio server to a PII350 client with
a good pair
of Ethernet cards (100Mbs) ? Or would I just be better off upgrading my
PII350 to a PIII800 or so?
Eventually I intend to upgrade to an SMP system so this would just be
smoothing the
upgrade path.