Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Ardour : features page
From: Tom Pincince (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 00:05:15 EEST

I have questions (wishes) about Auto Loop.

1) Does Auto Loop have a loop record mode? This would result in each
pass through the loop being a new take. If so, does Ardour create a new
file for each pass through the loop or does it append the new take to
the end of the existing file? Is there the option of having the
previous take automatically muted, such as when recording multiple takes
of a single solo, or allowing all takes to play, such as when composing
in layers.

2) Is dynamic looping available? By this I mean, can the end points be
defined on the fly? This is only relevant if there is a loop record
mode. I have not seen this feature in any music software, MIDI or
digital audio, but I think it does exist in dedicated delay processors
like the JamMan.

When I was shopping for MIDI/audio software 5+ years ago I had only two
features on my wish list. Feature 1 was the ability to dynamically
define the end of a loop while recording. Not one program had this
feature, not even for MIDI. They all require that the end points be
predefined before allowing the loop to function. Loop recording is
great for improvisational composing, but how improvisational is it if
the player must predefine the loop length, or must stop playing after
the first pass to define the loop before continuing to add more takes?
Imagine a player mentally preparing to play, feeling the tempo from
within. When ready, the player presses a foot pedal, setting the loop
start point, and Ardour begins recording. When the player has finished
playing the first take, and is still feeling the tempo, the foot pedal
is pressed again, setting the loop end point, jumping immediately to the
loop start point, playing the first take from the loop start point, and
automatically recording the next take. The player never has to stop
playing and does not mentally have to shift from being a player to a
computer operator. I saw a video of Jaco Pastorius performing a solo
concert this way. It was amazing. I think he was using a Lexicon
JamMan, and I know other jazz players who do the same thing. Since
Ardour has Dynamic Punch, it seems that allowing the punch points to
also function as the loop points would take care of it.

Feature 2 was the ability to play multiple sequences simultaneously and
in sync while preserving the original time signature and tempo of the
individual sequences. Vision by Opcode was the only program to offer
this. All other sequencer programs allow for the creation of multiple
sequences with their own time signature and tempo, and they all allow
simultaneous playback of multiple sequences, but they all require the
selection of one sequence as the master and all other sequences lock to
the tempo of this master track. If you are wondering why one would want
such a feature, imagine this. I sometimes compose one part of a song in
an even time signature, say 4/4, and another part in an odd signature,
say 5/4. If I can play them back simultaneously with independent
tempos, I can adjust the tempos so that the 1 beat for both parts occur
simultaneously for every measure of the composition, since 1 measure of
4/4 at 40 bpm takes exactly the same amount of time to play as 1 measure
of 5/4 at 50 bpm. This technique allows for wonderful rhythmic
interweaving that would be absurdly difficult, or mathematically
impossible, using just dotted notes and triplets. I know that this
feature has nothing to do with Ardour. I am just putting it out there
as a general concept.

I am using Vision (actually Studio Vision Pro) and I am patiently
waiting.

Tom

ps. I recommend removing reference to tape in your feature
descriptions, since tape is never actually rolling. For example;

Dynamic Punch

When enabled, Dynamic Punch allows you punch in tracks on the fly.

In a users manual it is appropriate to use tape as an analogy, from an
educational perspective, to describe a particular operation, but in a
simple definition of features or functions, don't refer to tape where
there is no tape.

pps. It is great to see things advancing to the point where development
begins to take the form of addressing musical ideas instead of purely
computer related ideas.