[linux-audio-dev] Controlling ardour via serial

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Controlling ardour via serial
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 20:06:31 EEST

Would it it be possible to add a module to ardour to allow it to be
controlled by and send meter levels over serial, and turn off the X output?

I'm willing to get my hands a bit dirty (when the code is stable), I'm a
competent (if out of practice) C programmer. Either using the MIDI MMC and
CC protocols, but over a 115k serial port, or handrolling something
more efficient. Back of the envelope maths makes me think that there
is enough bandwidth to display time and 20+ meters on a palmtop, with
touchscreen and/or keyboard play, rec, stop etc.

I've done some programming on Psion palmtops (large touchscreens and
decent keyboard), and I recon I could get up to speed with Palm
derivatives (big *enough* thouchscreens and very cheap!). I think they
would make great remote controls for ardour. My main concerns are that
lack of quality of the LCD screens, my (old and knackered) Psion 5,
doesn't have stunning update frequency, but I think its enough.

One thing I would like to use ardour for is recording live gigs, and the
though of lugging a monitor to a gig is not apealing, even an LCD job
is a bit awkward. However, I can write a initab program that listens for a
certain string on the serial port, and when it gets it (sent by the
plamtop app) it can spawn ardour and hand off the serial connection to
it. It would be easier if ardour could be made to run without X, but I
guess its not essential.

- Steve