Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour and sweep.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour and sweep.
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 19:59:36 EEST

>Quite, though Vegas lets you pick 1-2 tracks that you want exported to a
>(nominated) wav editor, and hte jsut reloads them afterwards, this
>doesn't sound like it would be that hard to do, though it can take a
>while for long tracks.

I plan on adding this feature (actually, any number of tracks, at
either 16 or 32 bit resolution) this week. I have the code in another
program, I just need to add some GUI stuff to hook it all in.

>Something I'm not clear on: I know that linux doesn't actually write disk
>blocks that are empty, when recording nothing in ardour, but what happens
>if you write silence? And what happens if you load up the track(s) into
>an editor, process them (say, add reverb), and then save out, I presume
>that you will get lots of actual blocks of zeros, or is the filesystem
>smart enough to spot blocks with no data in them.

Nope. The moment you touch 1+ bytes in a block (the blocksize is
typically 2kB or 4kB), that block is allocated. It doesn't attempt to
divine that "0" is special - if you wrote to the block, the block is
allocated. This would be a cool trick in some ways, but it would also
slow down the FS - it would be constantly checking block contents
during writes.

--p