Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour and sweep.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ardour and sweep.
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 19:44:48 EEST

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 12:27:35PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Remember, however, that ardour writes standard format files, and so
> its recordings can be edited by *any* editor that can handle 32 bit
> RIFF/WAVE. The only difference is the degree of integration into
> ardour itself.

Quite, though Vegas lets you pick 1-2 tracks that you want exported to a
(nominated) wav editor, and hte jsut reloads them afterwards, this
doesn't sound like it would be that hard to do, though it can take a
while for long tracks.

Something I'm not clear on: I know that linux doesn't actually write disk
blocks that are empty, when recording nothing in ardour, but what happens
if you write silence? And what happens if you load up the track(s) into
an editor, process them (say, add reverb), and then save out, I presume
that you will get lots of actual blocks of zeros, or is the filesystem
smart enough to spot blocks with no data in them.

- Steve

--
Stephen Harris
MALIBU Technical Officer & JoDI Webmaster