Re: [linux-audio-dev] What sequencer to you use?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What sequencer to you use?
From: Kevin Hremeviuc (khremeviuc_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 02:37:38 EEST

Hi Frank,

The choice of sequencer is very dependent on the way
that you work, and on how you want to go about it.

If you have several external midi devices that you
want to control then Jazz seems to be out, but Muse (
not very stable as yet, but Werner is doing a migty
job at a pretty good pace) might do the job ( a lot of
programs seem to fall by the wayside development wise
- Brahms etc and I am not sure whether others are
being improved upon - Rosegarden ).

Also, if you want tight integration between hard disk
recording and sequencing of multiple external midi
devices etc, then your choices are pretty much limited
to hanging around for Muse to become fully functional
Jazz++ might do the job for a single midi device, but
since going open source they switched to compiling in
the alsa audio drivers for released binaries. This
means if you only have an OSS supported soundcard you
have to download wxwin (???) and go through a
convoluted process to compile in OSS support. I paid
good money for a license only to be cut loose!!!
Besides Jazz++ is useless for real hard disk recording
and accessing multiple external midi devices ( or even
one soundcard and an external device)!.

regards

Kevin

(http://lienhard.desy.de/mackag/homepages/jan/Brahms/)