[linux-audio-dev] What sequencer to you use?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] What sequencer to you use?
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 15:38:51 EEST

Hi,
I was wondering if you folks could give me some feedback on what MIDI software
you are using under Linux for your hobby (or day-to-day work?) projects.

I have been looking around the net for a while, and compiled a short list
of sequencer programs that I checked out or at least looked at. I added my
personal comments on them, which might be wrong. Please feel free to tell
me your comments. By the way, I'd like to avoid KDE applications on my
system. Qt is ok, though.

Here's my list:

- binars (http://binars.sourceforge.net) - looked good though not finished,
  but has been silent since April.

- gseq (http://members.xoom.com/gseq) - has been silent since February,
  and the latest version didn't really seem usable to me.

- jazz (http://www.jazzware.com) - Might be the best choice right now,
  but I personally don't like the user interface very much (Motif look).
  I hope the gtk+ still makes progress; I don't follow the mailing lists.

- melys (http://melys.sourceforge.net) - Looks promising, but has been silent
  since February. Not very complete yet.

- quasimodo (http://quasimodo.org) - looks interesting, but is currently at
  an early stage - I hope pbd really manages to continue work on it. :-)

- Rosegarden (http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masjpf/rose.html) - the user interface
  appears a bit old-style to me (Xt programming?).

- Brahms (http://lienhard.desy.de/mackag/homepages/jan/Brahms/) - never tried
  it, requires KDE, last release is from Sep99 (stalled?)

- Muse (http://muse.seh.de/) - might be worth a try, active, never tried
  it myself yet, will do so soon (just stumbled over it).

- Sted2 (sted2.sourceforge.net) - unusual approach to MIDI sequencer, but
  I might like it if there was english documentation available (very short
  startup time, "snappy" UI). Rather silent these days.

If you know of any projects missing in this list that you can recommend,
I'd like to hear about it.

Regards,
Frank