[linux-audio-dev] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 18:55:47 EEST

Greetings:

  The unofficial Csound package includes Fred Floberg's code for
supporting the ALSA drivers. The code enabled two soundcards to be used
for separated i/o, but alas the code no longer works.

  The ALSA API has changed quite a bit since Fred's original work. I've
made some of the necessary updates, and I can get it to compile, but
Csound dies with the informative message "Input/output error" when I try
to run it. ALSA OSS emulation works perfectly (i.e., if you don't select
--with-ALSA as a configuration option).

  Fernando Lopez is working on the ALSA support for Snd. He has suggested
that my particular card (an SBLive Value) may be causing this grief
because it wants all of its capture devices opened to enable input. I'm
not sure how I would do that, but I'm certainly willing to show my crappy
work to anyone who really knows what they're doing in C. I would love to
have native ALSA support in Csound again, especially since I have two
soundcards active under the ALSA 0.5.9b drivers.

  I believe that something like this needs to take place: Cards are probed
for capabilities, conditional tests take place, relevant devices are
opened and closed properly. Am I missing something ?

  Anyway, consider this message a call for participation. Actually I'd be
more than happy to turn this project over to someone who can seriously
code. I'll trade guitar lessons for the reworked code ! ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html
        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/