Re: [linux-audio-dev] Report from the ICMC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Report from the ICMC
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 18:42:41 EEST

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> I just returned from holidays and the ICMC in Berlin.
> There has been quite some linux activity on the ICMC,
> which you might find interesting.

Indeed. Thank you very much for this report, Maarten !

> I noted a lot of activity around jMax (and MAX), and
> Francois Dechele and Norbert Schnell called for a
> brief, informal, jMax users meeting. After this ICMC
> I am even more convinced than I already was, that
> jMax will play a very significant role in the
> acceptance as Linux as a audio workstation platform.

I agree. jMax enjoys the on-going attention of its development team (and
others). I wish I could say the same for Cecilia: as Csound front-ends go,
it's one of the best but its development seems to have utterly stalled.
And without open sources no-one can take it forward. A shame.

Ah, we still have HPKComposer !

> Also worth mentioning is the presentation of SuperCollider
> version 3, by James McCartney. SuperCollider was mentioned
> and used in several presentations, and seems to have a
> pretty impressive userbase. James gave a talk about
> SuperCollider, and mentioned that the rewritten C++
> synthesis engine could be ported to Linux with not to many
> difficulties. This would be really good for all of us.

James was hanging out on LAD for a while, and there was talk of a Linux
port. Nothing material yet though.

> Elody (composition environment)

No mention of a Linux version on their Web site. Any more details ?

> SLINC (RTCmix GUI)

I want this one ! ;)

> CurvePainter (composition tool)
> Aulos (physical modeling)
> PAWN (linux audio workstation)

Any URLs for those apps ?

> Open Sound World (software synthesis)

Looks like CNMAT's been busy... ;)

Thanks again, Maarten. I would certainly be interested in reading more
detail if you care to post any further ICMC impressions.

Btw, how was the music ??

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html