Re: [linux-audio-dev] Report from the ICMC

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Report from the ICMC
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 18:30:42 EEST

> James was hanging out on LAD for a while, and there was talk of a Linux
> port. Nothing material yet though.

Maybe we should start nagging :-) ?

Here are the URLs you requested. Some didn't have one,
so I put the e-mail addresses.

[letz,fober,orlarey]@grame.fr

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~topper

> > CurvePainter (composition tool)

colby_AT_music.princeton.edu

> > Aulos (physical modeling)

tsax_AT_skiathos.physics.auth.gr

http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OSW

> Btw, how was the music ??

That's a difficult question... I did not go to all
concerts, but in general I was rather disappointed.

A lot of the music on the ICMC concerts was long
and boring musique concrete. The same things they
were doing with tape 20 years ago. Yeah, sure you
can also do it with samplers. Some interactive
pieces were a lot more interesting (instrumentalist(s)
 + live electronics). There was one tape piece that
I really liked a lot, done with physical models and
spatialization software "octopode" written by the
composer, Benjamin Thigpen. Apart from that, I fell
a sleep several times, but maybe that also had to do
with the german beer and making last-minut modifi-
cations to our code at night :-) . But I think 2 1/2
hours non-stop Luigi Nono is too much for anyone that
is not on amphetamine.

The Off-ICMC concerts mainly consisted of Noise. I
was not aware that this "style" is so popular now-
adays. Merzbow, Eliot Sharp, etc. I think the level
did not go below the 130 dB. Though I am very open
to new music, I have not been able to appreciate
this. I even had difficulties regarding it as music.
It sounds a lot like cat /dev/hda1 > /dev/dsp, with
your amplifier at max. This music was created with
laptops, running MAX, sequencers, etc. I never
noticed any interaction though between the sound and
the "artist". I have already thought of the killer-app
to make this kind of music. It will have one slider,
which range goes from 99 to 110.

Maarten