Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [CUD] Csound & ALSA support: a call for assistance
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 00:52:51 EEST

Hi Dave!

>Dave Phillips wrote:
> I ran tests with the reverb, nreverb, flanger, and delay opcodes. The
> flanger didn't work at all: anyone have a working flanger orc/sco I could
> peruse ?

> The reverbs worked okay, but artifacts abound, and as you said, the buffer
> settings made no difference. The delay worked beautifully, with no audio
> artifacts. Perhaps the reverb opcodes aren't very good ??

What sort of artifacts? Dropouts and glitches? Or just poor-quality
reverb? I do think the reverb opcode isn't very nice-sounding at
all; lots of distinct echoes, not very smooth. reverb2 is a bit
better but still IMHO bad.

I've tried a lot of csound reverb orc/sco's; most sound pretty bad,
frankly. Two notable exceptions are:

Hans Mikelson's reverb.orc (but NOT the gardverb.orc) from
http://www.werewolf.net/~hljmm/csound/ - sounds very good but runs
VERY slow (nowhere near realtime on my Celeron 333);

and Sean Costello's waveguide reverb at:
http://media.dr.rhbnc.ac.uk/csound/list/msg03983.html
which sounds quite nice and does run realtime on my system.

Freeverb is fast and sounds *very* nice. I wish somebody would
figure out how to hack freeverb into a csound opcode. I tried but
had to face the fact that I had no idea what I was doing. I'm amazed
that I got an opcode that actually runs - but it didn't sound
anything like the ladspa freeverb!
If anyone wants to give it a try, you can see my crude attempts at
http://www.slinkp.com/pw_linux/code.html

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.