Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distribution revisited]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distribution revisited]
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 17:06:15 EEST

On 15 Sep 2000 21:21:48 +1100, John Littler wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone ever thought of an audio distribution based on Debian.
>> Debian has this IMHO wonderful concept of "tasks". These are collections of
>> smaller software packages that can be installed in one step. E.g. there is
>> an X-task, that installs all needed packages for a running X-Windows
>> including window manager, xterms and stuff.
>>
>scripted RPM's will do the same sort of thing .. and they do
>in existing installation scripts. I don't know much about
>Debian 'tasks' .. whether it is technically nicer in any
>way than the RPM system.

I will second the Debian motion.. I am a long term Debian user and an audio-workstation-task
would have been perfect for a test box I am setting up.

Technically I think that .rpms and .debs are about on the same level although my exposure to
.rpms is limited to only a few installs... And using rpmfind to find binary packages that I
can install on my debian system using 'alien' (a rpm to deb converter).

I love debians 'apt-get' though. 99% of the time when some source package calls for some
wierd package if I type 'apt-get install <package-name>' I get exactly what I am looking
for.

I am interested in helping with any debian effort.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777