Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distributionrevisited]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distributionrevisited]
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 21:12:52 EEST

Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> Will Lowe wrote:
>
> > what software that's out there but not already available in .deb format
> > (and meets the Debian licensing requirements) would need to be packaged
> > for Debian?
>
> Yikes, licensing requirements... ;)
>
> Will, could you present us with a simple clarification of Debian's
> requirements ? It might be most helpful to simply state what Debian will
> *not* allow. Am I correct to assume up front that projects such as the
> UltraMaster synths (commercial) and RTSynth (closed-source) won't be
> permitted ?

No, sort of.

Debian has three sections: main, contrib, non-free. To be simple:
Sofware can get in "main" if it is free, open source software that meets
the Debian Free Software Guidlines (see www.debian.org). The DFSG has
been adapted by Eric Raymond et al. who used it for their definition of
"Open Source (tm)".

Every package in "contrib" must comply with the DFSG, too. But
main-software must also meet the complete Debian Policy (see
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ )

non-free allows closed source software. For example in non-free/graphics
you will find the image viewer xv, that is shareware without source code.

Also there is an installer package for Realplayer in non-free, that asks
you on installation to download the real Realplayer from www.real.com and
then installs it for you. This way one could even include those cool
Ultramaster synth demos.

bye,

--
                                                 __    __