Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distributionrevisited]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What about debian tasks? [was: Audio distributionrevisited]
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 21:40:59 EEST

David Benson wrote:

> uh, you can package anything in debian format,
> but to be accepted into debian proper
> it must comply with the Debian Free Software Guidelines:
>
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
>
> no problem tho, all debian-based distros contain rather nonfree
> software (especially corel). you can even make a hybrid
> by including new stfuf in you /etc/apt/sources.list, which is a list
> of places to download packges from.

Basically, as long as the distro allowed such apps as RTSynth and
UltraMaster then I'm happy. But those guidelines would be up to the
planners of this specific project, yes ?

Regarding RPMs and DEBs: I'm an ardent hater of anything other than
tarballs, sorry 'bout that, but I understand that package maintenance is
supposed to be easier with those new-fangled methods. ;) However,
tarballs have the distinction of being immediately usable on just about
any Linux system. I'm sure to lose on this one, but I'd prefer apps in
tarballs. Just my two ecus...

Btw, as an aside: My downstairs neighbor is a nice guy, owns a nice
computer running Windows. So one day about two weeks ago he asks about
Linux, and I bring him upstairs to check out my system. A week later he
buys Mandrake 7.1. A couple days later he installs it, perfectly, the
first time. He had *never* installed an operating system before then. A
few days afterwards, he resolves his modem problem (it was a Winmodem
issue), and informs me that everything else is humming along nicely.
Things have improved quite a bit since my first Slackware
installation...(!)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/index.html