Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAD home page

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAD home page
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 01:26:39 EEST

[cc:ed to dave, paul, richard and john]

hello everyone !

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Just wanted to say a big thank you for Jörn and Paul for the work they
> have done with LAD home pages at http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ !
<blush>

> I spent a few hours today answering various ecasound related mails, and I
> noticed that I referred to the LAD pages in nearly every message I wrote! :)
> Seriously, things like "what's latency?", "disk i/o performance",
> "current audioserver/audio-driver situation" are very common
> questions.
>
> It might be a good idea to connect the various audio sites more closely to
> each other. LAD home page, Dave's pages, l-m-station, www.ladspa.org,
> ALSA, etc ... so when you find one of them, you should find them all. Just
> like with Slashdot, Freshmeat and other OSDN sites.

a nice linux audio webring comes to mind. (graphics anyone ?)
(did i see such a thing on dave's site ?)
the pages need a little rework anyway (getting a little too long to
be easily viewed) and maarten has come up with some nice lad logos
and buttons, so we could handle it all in one effort.

i'm involved in a theater project for the next 2 1/2 weeks, so i
will probably not do it before end of september.

in the mean time, i will try to contact the owners of the other
sites you mentioned.
dave, john, richard, paul: your thoughts on the topic ?

[the only problem i see is to find a button or webring image that is
both clearly visible and doesn't destroy the quite different looks
of the sites.
where would you put such a button ? i'd slap it right on the front
page, but some folks may have aestethic objections :)]

if you folks comment in favor of the webring, i'm planning to get
the alsa folks and other audio site hosts on board as well.

regards,

jörn

btw: in presenting projects spawned from LAD discussions, i'm always
tempted to mention them in a "our community effort" kind of way,
especially with LADSPA and the new EVO project.
the reason is that i feel it might pull more people to LAD and to
these projects, and that it might give more "authority" (in a
positive way) to the proposed LADSPA standard.
however, if someone feels this is taking credit away from
individuals, let me know.

the "software from lad contributors", now centered around single
persons, will need rework to reflect this (take evo: it's mentioned
under benno's projects, because he came up with code first, even
though it is now clearly a group effort).

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany